The Monument Quilt (led by Force: Upsetting Rape Culture) seeks a Quilt Production Intern.
Background: The Monument Quilt is a crowd-sourced collection of stories from survivors of rape and abuse. The Monument Quilt is a platform to not only tell our stories but work together to change how communities respond to rape. The quilt is creating a new culture where survivors are publicly supported, rather than publicly shamed.
Each individual square is made of red fabric with hand-written testimonials created by survivors, secondary survivors, and allies. Almost 300 quilts were displayed in 13 US cities in August 2014 (read more CNN and MSNBC) and we will continue to display the quilt via quilt-making workshops, in public displays across the country, until a final, historic display in Washington DC. Blanketing the National Mall, 6,000 fabric squares will ultimately be stitched together to spell “Not Alone.”
- Sewing blankets submitted by mail into blocks, sewing labels onto the blankets, backing quilts
- Work with FORCE directors to organize volunteer work days.
- Facilitate regular volunteer work days
- Work with FORCE team to organize large volunteer events, as well as smaller work days to finish the quilt.
- Train and troubleshoot with drop-in volunteers
An ideal candidate must:
- Be responsible, flexible, hard‐working, ethical, and committed to the mission of The Monument Quilt and Force: Upsetting Rape Culture
- Possess a high level of organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Possess solid oral and written communication skills
- Be skilled at a variety of computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat are mandatory; knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop a plus.
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks
Time commitment: Minimum of 10 hours per week; minimum 3-month commitment, with 6 months desirable.
Compensation: This is an unpaid position. There is opportunity for school credit. Position offers an excellent opportunity to work on substantive projects and can result in a great reference.
To apply: E‐mail cover letter, resume, and writing sample to upsettingrapeculture AT gmail DOT com with subject line of “Application for Quilt Production Intern”