The Monument Quilt (led by FORCE: Upsetting Rape Culture) is seeking a Baltimore Workshop Facilitator
Background: The Monument Quilt is a crowd-sourced collection of thousands of stories from survivors of rape and abuse. Survivors are stitching stories together to create and demand public space to heal. We are building a new culture where survivors are publicly supported rather than publicly shamed. The project will culminate with a one-mile display of the quilt on the National Mall in 2017, along with a digital archive and resource map of the myriad of organizations across the country who are participating. Individuals and communities participate in the project by hosting workshops and making their own quilt squares. More info: TheMonumentQuilt.org
The Monument Quilt workshop facilitator will be responsible for extending the reach of the Monument Quilt by coordinating quilt workshops, facilitating workshops and generally getting more people involved with the quilt in Baltimore MD.
Over a 5-month time period, the coordinator would be expected to coordinate the following, in Baltimore:
- Facilitate 40 workshops.
- Reach out to organizations that would be interested in having a workshop in Baltimore MD with the assistance of Monument Quilt staff and volunteers, and schedule workshops.
- Cultivate long-term partnerships with organizations that host workshops.
- Through workshops, generate 250 new quilt squares for the Monument Quilt.
An ideal candidate must:
- Be responsible, flexible, hard‐working, ethical, and committed to the mission of The Monument Quilt and FORCE: Upsetting Rape Culture
- Be communicative and friendly, able to build and sustain professional relationships
- Be very comfortable talking openly about supporting survivors of sexual assault and creating a culture of support.
- Possess a high level of organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Possess solid oral and written communication skills
- Be skilled at a variety of computer skills, especially use of email and spreadsheets. Other programs e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat are mandatory; knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop a plus.
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks
- Be comfortable working independently. Applicants must be self motivated and able to manage their own time without daily supervision
- This contract is for a 4.5 month period, from September 1- January 15.
- The payment is a stipend based on accomplishing goals within 5-month time frame.
- The job provides a $4500 stipend
- Workshop Facilitator will be responsible for own transportation to quilt-making workshop locations and to pick up needed materials from Monument Quilt studio.
- Submit your resume, cover letter, and proposal to email@example.com by August 15th. (Revised deadline)
- People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must submit a proposal about how they would achieve the above goals. Please submit 1 page that outlines ideas for partnerships and host organizations to work with the Monument Quilt. Applicants are encouraged to include information about existing networks and relationships that they have, and how they will build on these networks to help the Monument Quilt grow.
**Applicants are also encouraged to look at who has already partnered with the Monument Quilt and recommend areas for growth. View our blog and website to learn more.