Displays of the quilt are a platform to uplift the work you do to build a culture of support for survivors of rape and abuse. The Monument Quilt mobilizes survivors across the country to stand together, resisting a one dimensional narrative about how rape and abuse happens, and who it affects. Displays can coincide with legislation, court cases, protests and other acts of resistance against rape and abuse, building solidarity and raising the visibility between our efforts.
Option 1 is to display quilt squares made in your community before mailing them in to be added to the larger quilt. Email UpseingRapeCulture@gmail.com for help planning.
Option 2 is to bring the entire quilt to your city or town. Here’s how:
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you are interested in hosting a quilt display.
- Determine a space for the quilt, in a public gathering area in your community. (The quilt occupies about 200’ x 200’, or four basketball courts). Make sure to also secure a rain location!
- Secure funding for the Quilt to travel. The cost of a quilt display is approximately $6,000 and includes van rental, gas, display materials and accommodations for the quilt team. Travel costs vary by location. The quilt will be traveling from Baltimore, MD. The Monument Quilt is willing to work with groups that need help with funding, but still want to host the quilt. We recommend collaborating with other organizations in your area that can provide additional funds.
- Schedule the event. The quilt display can coincide with other events, such as protests, lobbying days, demonstrations or conferences. Set-up takes about 2 hrs, displays usually last 3-4 hrs, break down takes 1 hr.
- Coordinate volunteers to help with set up and break down, in addition to giving out information about the quilt during the display. About 25 people will be needed throughout the day. Note that this task is physically and emotionally demanding.
- Promote the display and invite your community. The Monument Quilt has template posters, press releases, and facebook invites your group is free to use.
- Organize speakers, programming, music, etc as appropriate.