Over the past 2 years, the Monument has been fortunate to work with several teams of talented and motivated interns who are helping to make this vision a reality. We have worked with students from Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland College Park, University of Maryland Baltimore County and Maryland Institute College of Art.
We invite you to join our team this semester! FORCE is currently seeking interns for the following positions: Quilt Production, Fundraising, Photography, and Administrative.
Background: The Monument Quilt is a crowd-sourced collection of stories from survivors of rape and abuse. The Monument Quilt is a platform to not only tell our stories but work together to change how communities respond to rape. The quilt is creating a new culture where survivors are publicly supported, rather than publicly shamed.
Each individual square is made of red fabric with hand-written testimonials created by survivors, secondary survivors, and allies. To date we’ve collected 1,000 quilts which have been displayed in 18 US cities (read more CNN and MSNBC) and we will continue to display the quilt via quilt-making workshops, in public displays across the country, until a final, historic display in Washington DC. Blanketing the National Mall, 6,000 fabric squares will ultimately be stitched together to spell “Not Alone.”
Quilt Production responsibilities include:
- Sewing 4’x4′ blankets submitted by mail into 8’x8′ blocks, sewing labels onto the blankets, backing quilts
- Work with FORCE directors to organize and facilitate volunteer work days.
- Train and troubleshoot with drop-in volunteers
Fundraising responsibilities include:
- Assist with managing donor database
- Assist with grant prospect research
- Work with Development Consultant to implement fundraising campaigns
Photography responsibilities include:
- Work with volunteer photographers on a weekly basis to document quilt squares
- Edit images of quilt squares
- Upload edited images to online database on a weekly basis
Administrative responsibilities include:
- Regular email communication with FORCE list via Mailchimp
- Updating email list after events
- Assisting with management of donor database
Ideal candidates must:
- Be responsible, flexible, hard‐working, ethical, and committed to the mission of The Monument Quilt and Force: Upsetting Rape Culture
- For photography position: posess solid photography skills and access to photo equipment
- For quilt production position: posess solid machine sewing skills
- Possess a high level of organizational skills and be detail oriented
- Possess solid oral and written communication skills
- Be skilled at a variety of computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat are mandatory; knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop a plus.
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks
Time commitment: Minimum of 8 hours per week; minimum 3-month commitment, with 6 months desirable